The mold that appears on your roof can damage your shingles and looks displeasing on the best of days. As a home or business owner, you shouldn’t leave the problem alone as extensive growth can seep into an attic or crawlspace. If you’re worried about the mold, we have a solution that is inexpensive and uses a few cheap items.
HOW TO MAKE AND USE YOUR BASIC MOLD CLEANER:
It’s important to protect the plants and grass around your roof before you use the cleaner. Plants, soil, and grass don’t take well to bleach. The simplest way would be to wet your plants with water before you apply the solution and then rinse once again with clean water when you’ve completed the mold removal. If you’d like, you can use a tarp or plastic sheeting, which will also protect your soil.
You can make your own basic cleaner at home with a few ingredients. The solution is made out of 1 quart of bleach, 1 gallon of water, and 60ml or 1/4th cup trisodium phosphate (TSP). Afterward, you can use a pump sprayer to disperse to disperse your solution onto the moldy shingles. If you utilize a pressure washer, you risk damaging your roof shingles. The high pressure can scrape the small pebbles off your shingles and that makes the shingles less repellant to water.
When you finished spraying your roof with the solution, you should wait for approximately 15 minutes. The bleach solution may need a couple more minutes if the mold is plentiful. After the appropriate time passes, you should rinse your roof with a low-pressure hose. The best way to spray the water is from the top shingle and rinse down. As a result, the water won’t seep into the roof. Pay extra attention during this step because bleach causes permanent damage and discoloration to your roof if you don’t rinse off well.
You can run a gloved hand over the cleaned shingles to see if any mold remains. If you find your roof unclean, disperse the solution again and wait 10 minutes, then rinse off.
CONSISTENT MOLD PROBLEM?
You should consult a professional roofing company in cases where mold is a constant issue. If you face a continuous problem, you may own old shingles and should replace them, or they may need a waterproof coating. There’s also another alternative where a roofing company can put down mold-resistant shingles or install zinc or copper flashing, which kills microorganisms.